30 Seconds with Steve N Allen

Picture of Steve N Allen

Thinking up some new jokes for us Steve?

Who’s that we see leading a rabble of comedians our way? It’s only next weeks Zing Comedy Club headliner Steve N Allen #LincolnComedy.

Steve is a multi-talented man from stand-up to voice-overs, radio to podcasts he’s got it covered and on 17 February he’ll be doing it all for us, for free at Lincoln’s LPAC. So of course being the regular reviewers at the night AltLinc wanted to see what we were letting themselves in for and we asked him a few interrogatory questions…

1. What is your full name?
Steven Allen (I don’t have a middle name, so for stage name reasons I went for Steve N Allen, technically it was a letter I had going spare.)

2. How old are you?
It’s rude to ask a lady her age and due to the European Commission on gender equality that now applies to men too.  So that’s that one avoided.

3. Where were you born?
Sutton-in-Ashfield in Nottinghamshire.  It’s the home of Europe’s biggest sundial.

4. Who is your inspiration?
It’s odd to say, but the writers on the Colbert Report.  I watch that and think of how the writers are making so much material out of the news, every day.  I know the Daily Show writers do the same but on Colbert they seem to work on less intrinsically funny news stories.

5. How did you get into comedy?
I started writing jokes for radio DJ’s when I was at university and eventually got so annoyed at how they were screwing up the delivery I thought I should try performance myself.

6. Where was your most memorable performance, and what made it so memorable?
I did a solo show at the Brighton festival, got stuck on the M25 and pretty much walked into the room as the show was meant to start.  I was worried that everyone would’ve left but they were all there, a packed room, so full that one family had to sit up on stage with me.  It was so much fun that day and the show was about so much more than the material.  Even just moaning about the parking turned into a nice bit that day.  That fun, that level of support really stands out in comparison to some usual gigs.

7. Would you rather go back in time and meet your ancestors or forward in time and met your great great great grandchildren?
Tricky question.  I don’t have children so if I travelled to the future I’d just be sat there on my own.  But I like sitting on my own, so that doesn’t rule anything out.  I’m a nerd for technology so I’d love to see what computers are like in the future.  However in five generations time gadgets could be so complicated I’d feel like an OAP trying to argue with a self-scan check out.  So maybe I should go back to the past, meet my ancestors and spoil the endings to all books, films and wars for them.

Check out Steve and lots of other comedians at  Zing Comedy Club 17 February, 8.30 Don’t miss out